Its feijoa season here in NZ, and if you’re a kiwi you usually either have an abundance of feijoas yourself or a neighbour/friend that does and has therefore given you an abundance of the little green gems!
If you have already made delicious crumbles for dessert, scooped bags full for the freezer and eaten your weight in the fresh fruit, you’re probably wondering what to do with them next?!
Well, these [gluten, grain + dairy-free] Feijoa Muffins are for you and of course your little ones’ lunchboxes!
This is actually a pretty versatile recipe and the feijoas can be switched out for just about any fruit all year round. If you don't want to add fruit, you can always add things like chocolate chips or yummy aromatic spices, just make sure you add a little extra coconut oil for a bit more moisture.
Whether you want cute shaped, jumbo, mini or animal muffins etc, Little Giants Kids Store has the muffin case for you! So jump online and order your reusable muffin case, start scooping out those feijoas and get baking!
2 ¼ C Almond Flour
½ C Tapioca Flour
4 Tbsp Coconut Sugar (or 3 Tbsp lakanto/Natvja for sugar-free option)
½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Tbsp Melted Coconut Oil
3 Eggs, lightly beaten
1 Cup Feijoa flesh
- Pre-heat oven to Bake 180°
- In a large bowl combine, almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut sugar and salt.
- Then add the baking soda and apple cider vinegar atop one another to cause them to react, which helps the muffins to rise. (get the kids to help with this part, they always love it!)
- Pour in vanilla extract, coconut oil and eggs and mix together to form a thick batter.
- Now add the feijoa (or whatever mix-ins you choose) and fold through the batter.
- Spoon into muffin trays and sprinkle a little coconut sugar on top.
Mini = 30 minutes
Regular = 35 minutes
Large = 40 minutes
Recipe created and blog written by Frances Tibbits