Back when I was a kid my mum used to make us ‘rice bubble cake’ all the time, which was
made with truck loads of sugar, questionable rice cereals and added fruit puff lollies (just for a little extra sugar right haha). This Puffed Rice Treat recipe is my reduced-sugar, wholefood alternative to old-fashioned rice bubble cake. And the best part is, it only has 3 ingredients!!
I have made it using both Natures Path Organic Brown Rice Puffs and Hubbards Thank
Goodness Rice Pops, the former being 100% organic brown rice so definitely the cleaner
option. The Hubbards Rice pops do contain added sugar, golden syrup and salt but it is only a small amount and it is free from artificial ingredients commonly seen in other puffed rice cereals, so it's a win in my eyes.
If you have the time to fiddle around making cute shapes you know your kids will love, the
LGKS Silicone Food Cups are perfect for this. Alternatively, if you’re in a bit of a rush you can just line a slice tin with a LGKS Silicone Matand make one big slice that you cut into bars or squares once set.
Puffed Rice Treats
80g (or 3 Tbsp) Honey
150g (or 4 Cups) Puffed Rice
- Line 2x muffin trays with silicone food cups or a slice tin with a silicone mat.
- In a large pot add the honey and butter.
- Bring to a simmer on a med-high temp, then lower to a medium heat and gently simmer for 6 minutes, stirring gently to avoid any sticking.
- It should be nice and foamy and caramelised.
- Take off the heat and add in the puffed rice, mix well to combine.
- Spoon mixture into food cups or slice tin and press down firmly to make sure it’s all stuck together well.
- Pop into the fridge for around 2 hours to set. If you made a slice, cut it into your desired shapes once set.
Pop any bits that crumble away during cutting into a container, as it makes a yummy
topping for cereal and yogurt!
Blog written and recipe created by Frances Tibbits.